Skip to main content

Avoiding The Gap Fire


The Gap Fire

hug 600x370 1

Day One:

July 1st, 2008. Haskells Beach, evening wind swell.
We found marginal waves and relaxed on the rocks, hanging out with some Goleta boys,
oblivious to the fact that up on the mountain above us, a wildfire had broken out.

bob4 600x300 1
hug1 600x363 1

We didn’t even notice it on the drive home, but a neighbor’s nervous knock on the door
brought it to our attention. A short drive up to a friend’s house got us a better view of
the beginning of what would become a long running ordeal.

1100 600x302 1

Day Two:

July 2nd, 2008. Morning light revealed that what looked so threatening the
night before, was actually way up on the mountain. And now it looked like the
worst was over, as soft, white wisps of smoke rose slowly to the sky.

7 2morn 480x344 1

But by afternoon, the gentle offshore flow turned the white wisps into a darker and
larger cloud, cloaking the mountain tops.

7 2afternoon 525x376 1
7 2afternoon4 600x434 1

By evening, the media began to take notice of what had the potential to become a big
news story. The fire was creeping down the hills, but also expanding it’s width at a
more rapid pace than expected.

7 2afternoon2 600x339 1
7 2eve 600x355 1

Dense, fifty year old chaparral was burning hot, and the occasional air drops seemed like
a futile effort to extinguish a growing problem.
Since California was riddled with wild fires, resources were limited, adding to a sense of
urgency spreading throughout Goleta.

7 2eve1 600x421 1
7 2eve2 600x386 1
7 2eve4 480x346 1

Friends and neighbors gathered at lookout points to get a better look and share what little
information they had about the fire and the efforts being made to control it.
They also compared notes about if and when to start packing, and why the power kept
going off and on.

7 2eve3 600x410 1
7 2eve7 510x389 1
7 2eve8 600x443 1

As evening fell, the flames seemed to grow, and it became difficult to
determine how far or close the fire really was.
The fading sun became a glowing red ball.

271 320x282 1
7 2eve9 390x296 1
7 2farren1 600x387 1

A quick drive up to Farren Road revealed further proof that this was getting serious.
The fact that there seemed to be a lack of a major fire fighting effort made us realize
this was out of control and our lighthearted joking about the situation turned to more
somber conversation and discussion of possible scenarios.

7 2farren 600x418 1
7 2farren4 465x306 1
7 2farren3 600x327 1

Driving back to Patterson from Farren, you could see the magnitude of the situation. It
seemed as though the entire mountain range above Goleta was burning. When we reached
home to find the power out again, we decided to start packing up, just to be ready.

7 2farren6 600x383 1

So we began, at what would normally be bedtime, to try to make rational decisions about what
to save from destruction and what to let burn, while holding flashlights in our mouths. About
11:00 PM, the power came on, so we jumped in our cars to go get gas in case we got
evacuated. Even gas stations don’t work without electricity!
Needless to say, it was a long night.

7 2farren7 600x414 1

Day Three:

July 3rd, 2008. Once again the morning had a calming presence. There was no wind, and the
fury of the flames was gone. Just harmless smoke, hanging around like the show was over.

7 3aamorn 1 600x415 1

By afternoon, the smoke turned dark, and flames began to appear. There was a pattern
forming here; mellow morning, afternoon warning, evening, all hell breaks loose.

7 3aamorn 2 450x336 1

They also started shutting down roads, and telling certain areas to be ready to evacuate.
This is North Fairview.

7 3aamorn 3 375x350 1
7 3aamorn 4 600x419 1

By now, we began to see more of a fire fighting effort, with more aircraft in the air
and more trucks on the street.
But we also saw more flames in the hills.

7 3afternoon 2 600x358 1
7 3afternoon 600x287 1
7 3afternoon3 600x327 1
7 3afternoon4 600x363 1

Obviously, air quality sucked, but that was low on the worry list.

7 3afternoon5 600x277 1

Since all our phones were cordless, none of them worked without electricity, so we were
not able to receive the reverse 911 call.
Luckily, our neighbors came over and told us, it was time to get out.
So, in the orange glow with ash raining down, helicopters hovering overhead, cellphones
ringing nonstop and sirens in the neighborhood, we packed up, decided on a meeting
place and headed out.

7 3evac2 600x366 1

Day Four:

July 4th, 2008. After an uneasy night at my brother’s house, we were up at the crack of dawn
to see what happened. I managed to get into our neighborhood, despite police roadblocks, and
again, was pleasantly surprised to see the whole neighborhood safe and sound.

7 4aamorn 465x305 1
protection 375x217 1
7 4morn1 290x364 1

Although the morning seemed calm, we were now familiar with the pattern. The
“meteorologists” again predicted sundowner conditions, as they had for every evening
this week. So when we got word that my brother’s house in Embarcadero was next to be
evacuated, that was enough; We headed North, out of the fire zone and back into a normal
Fourth of July weekend.

7 4after 495x324 1
7 4eve 379x428 1
7 4eve1 480x348 1

By Sunday, we were able to return home and start blowing away all the
ashes from the yard and trying to unravel all the blur of memories from a
week we’ll remember forever.

7 4eve3 600x328 1
1101 413x419 1

All Photos by Tom Modugno